Monday, December 24, 2007

Update Ramble

Ok, it's been a couple weeks, and I've told a few people that I would try and do better at updating more often. Maybe I can make it a new year's resolution to try and update at least a couple times per week.

So, as far as update news...work is going well. Last Thursday I had my 90-day performance evaluation. It went pretty well...I got a "commendable" score, and the HR Manager spoke a bit about the potential for my career in HR. Right now I can't say with absolute certainty that this is what I'll be doing with the rest of my life, but whatever path God has me on, I am certain it's the right one. If history teaches me anything, it's to not make too many assumptions or claim that I know what's best for me more than He does.

What are the other options? Well, here's a little soul-bearing...The other options I've considered are areas that I've felt a significant amount of interest in, or had significant training/experience in.
In no particular order:

1. Writing - aside from being my own biggest fan in the area of vocabulary and spelling (of which I am at times painfully aware is a delusion), there is a fiction story I started writing back in 2003 that was on hiatus while I was busy being a band director. Now that I have more time, and a sort-of creative vacuum, I have taken it up again. As of now, I have no particular goals or schedule with this story, but I've made a few minor breakthroughs that are exciting.

2. Sound engineering - running sound at WCHS was the first step. Then a week after moving to the Springs, God providing another opportunity. Not only is it running sound for the services at church, but it also provides a little extra income. Even before moving out here, I researched a little bit into what the financial and time commitments would be to get more formal training in the area. And of course this kind of career would keep me much more in touch with music.

3. Web design - I created my first web page in 1994 when there was only html and little help to be found. It's mainly be an oft-neglected hobby and fun distraction, but it's another interest that turned into income when I was the webmaster for our school's site at WCHS. My tasks were basic enough, I wasn't starting from scratch, but I did see an avenue open up that was intriguing to pursue.

4. Ministry - this is probably the path that I am most apprehensive/hesitant about. Aside from the lifestyle and financial sacrifices implied, it's a broad category that could steer in almost any direction. Music? High School? Short term missions? Administrative/Leadership staff? There are many areas of ministry that I have been involved with and done well in.

So, as wonderful as free will might be, the frustration is knowing that I have different levels of aptitude for each "path" (including HR). I feel confident that God will continue to provide direction and bless my efforts, regardless of which direction I go...though some may be more appropriate than others.

Anywho...for right now, it'll be keep the status quo. I'll keep developing my HR career, dabbling at my story, running sound at church, staying somewhat active on the internet, and active at church so I can keep all those doors open. I have the sneaking suspicion that someday (maybe years from now) I will be wholly-devoted to something, but time will tell.

Thanks for indulging my musing.