Saturday, April 4, 2009

Poem a Day Challenge

April is National Poetry Month, and a friend convinced me to participate in the Poem-A-Day Challenge. (Click the link to check it out)

Each day has a new "prompt", and you're allowed to write in any structure or style. Obviously, creativity and "thinking outside the box" is encouraged. Throughout the month I'll share my poems here every few days. Enjoy!


4/1
For today's prompt, I want you to write an origin poem. It can be the origin of a word, person, plant, idea, etc. Have fun with it.

We've been here before.
I'll go there again.
How did we become?
When did we begin?

It began "In the beginning..."
You've all heard it said.
You start when you're born,
But you don't end when you're dead.

He knew you before
He made Time or Space.
He knows each hair on your head
He cares for each line on your face.

How did He...?
Why did He...?
We may never fully know,
So just know Him, and be.


4/2
Today, I want you to write an outsider poem. You can be the outsider; someone else can be the outsider; or it can even be an animal or inanimate object that's the outsider. As usual, get creative with the prompt and don't be afraid to stretch the limits.

I feel an itch.
Is it those tiny creatures again?
Sigh. They are always
scampering and sliding and
pinching and biting.
Ack! What are they doing?
They are cutting large gashes
in my side. They're harvesting my
internal organs!! Such molestations
anger me, but alas, I have no lava to
hurl at them in retribution,
for I am only an old, grey mountain.


4/3
Take the phrase "The problem with (blank)" and replace the "(blank)" with a word or phrase. Make this the title of your poem and then write a poem to fit with or juxtapose against that title.

"The Problem With This Situation"

Whew! Made it home in the blizzard.
What's this? A flat!
Why now?
Who left that screw in the road?
Where is the jack? Ah...there...
Whoops! No spare!
Waaaaaa.....


4/4
For today’s prompt, I want you to pick an animal; make that animal the title of your poem; then, write a poem. You could be very general with your animal title (“Bees” or “Lion”) or specific (“Flipper” or “Lassie”).

"Animal"

Thump! Thump!
Crash! Crash!
Drive the beat,
then break and smash!

Beat! Beat!
Play! Play!
Keeping time
in a crazy way!

Chomp! Chomp!
Crunch! Crunch!
Tom-toms and snare
and hi-hat for lunch!

Sit! Sit!
Stay! Stay!
Dr. Teeth holds
Animal at bay!