Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Social Etiquette = Blech

This morning, as I was walking into the kitchen area to get some water, 2 of the ladies in the office were exiting. Here’s the sequence:
Lady 1: “Good morning.”
Josh: “Hi.” (that’s the most you’ll usually get outta me)
Lady 2: “Good morning.”
…5 seconds (and several feet of walking) later…
Lady 2: “Josh!....Good morning!”
Josh: “Oh…good morning.”

Now I know I’m not ever going to win an award for Superior Social Etiquette, but I thought that my acknowledgement included both women, but apparently Lady 2 was a tad miffed that I hadn’t given her a separate, individual greeting.

In truth, I don’t really care that much, but I didn’t feel a tad awkward/jerkish like I had made some faux pas that took me a while to process. And then I thought, “Hey! I haven’t posted on my blog in a while…here’s some fodder.”