Sunday, March 15, 2009

Work Blessings

When I worked at a Christian high school, I was constantly among brothers and sisters in Christ; teachers, staff, students, administration. Every class and meeting started with prayer...it was awesome. Moving back into the "secular" world, I did feel a little loss there...like my faith was something being put in the box of "personal life" and I would have to don the "work life" hat to go to work. Part of this has been the slow process of growth and learning and maturing in my knowledge of what integrating my walk with Christ into all aspects of my life means. Obviously, the more I learn, the more I realize I've had a limited view of what that should look like.

But there has been a surprising, un-looked-for blessing during the past 6 months or so. I will couch this in a little ambiguity in the interest of speaking about someone without their permission, but suffice to say that there is an exec in the leadership at my company who has been an amazing inspiration to me. Soon after meeting him, I learned he was a Christian also. What a thrill! Then, he found out about my blog...said he liked it, and gave me the address of his blog. So we've been reading each others' blogs and, I think mutually, have been greatly blessed and inspired by each other.

Aside from the "warm fuzzy" kind of inspiration, the attitude he takes toward work issues and relationships, and how he seeks (and finds) Christ and Joy in all aspects of life (not just church and family, as I had relegated them) has been a challenge for me to attempt the same. I feel like my faith is maturing, and my knowledge of God is deepening. This is what the Word means by "iron sharpening iron"...but in a "secular" context, it is a blessing I didn't expect to find...making it all the more delightful!

I know there's a good chance he will see this post. My apologies sir, if this feels a tad over-done or awkward, but I have a feeling you won't take it that way. And as I've stated for everyone here, I've made the conscious decision to engage in this process as authentically and humbly as I can. My own journey is a joy to share, as it is a declaration of God's love for me (and all of us!) and glorifies him; as well as hopefully inspiring/edifying my readers.

I leave you with a sample of his latest post. C'mon...really, how awesome is it to have a boss that thinks like this?*:


"
We had a wonderful service at church today which started with the hymn, “How Great Thou Art”. I started smiling as we finished the first verse and chorus and moved into the second verse, because that says in a nutshell what I truly feel when I’m staring into or up on the mountains:

When through the woods and forest glades I wander,

And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees.

When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,

And see the brook and feel the gentle breeze.

Then sings my soul, my Savior God to thee,

How great thou art, how great thou art.

Then sings my soul, my Savior God to thee,

How great thou art, how great thou art.


As I listen to the song, look back over the pictures, and remember the incredible serenity I felt on the top of those hills, I can’t help but praise our Creator and thank Him for giving me that peace this weekend.
"

*Note: this is a very small sample; there is much more of depth and beauty and inspiration, but I feel I should get his permission before sharing more of his heart. =)