Monday, April 27, 2009

Hiatus Interruptus

*le sigh*....apologies for long-time-no-blog, etc, etc, blah blah...(the usual)

I've had several moments over the last two weeks in which I've thought "Oh, I should blog that!"
But obviously, I didn't.

So now that I'm finally getting around to it, I have a few unconnected things to share, and will probably break them up into separate posts for you to read at your leisure.

Connections

I like finding connections, especially in movies/tv. So, here are some I've discovered recently. If you haven't seen these particular tv shows/movies you probably won't get it. If you have seen them, you probably already made these connections and are like, "Duh, Josh!"

Man in the Iron Mask - one of the king's advisors is Hugh Laurie from "House". Ha!
Full Metal Jacket - character "Animal Mother" is played by a young Adam Baldwin, star in two shows I very much love: "Firefly"-Jayne; "Chuck"-Casey
Krull - I had always heard about this movie, but had never seen it. Finally watched it last week, and was surprised to recognize more familiar faces: Liam Neeson, Freddie Jones (Thufir from "Dune"), Francesca Annis (Lady Jessica also from "Dune")

On a sadder "connection" note...upon watching Krull, I realized that it had an element in it that was very similar to an element in my novel that I thought was rather unique. Even though I honestly thought of it myself (and it is somewhat different), now I worry that people will think I lifted the idea from Krull. (And yes, I'm being intentionally vague)

I have been really fond of Netflix over the last couple of months - by using their "Watch Instantly" feature online, I've been able to catch up on quite a few movies on the list of "Ones I'd like to see sometime, but don't want to pay for rental or make time for" - notably, the three listed above.

Yet there's a catch....the slippery slope. Am I watching too many movies now? I'll discuss in the next post.