Saturday, June 16, 2007

My first hours in the Springs

[Editor’s note: This post was written on the night of the 15th, but I wasn’t able to get on the internet at Steve & Nikki’s, so I’m posting it today.]

Well at the end of Day 1 in Colorado, I’ve got a lot to report. I’ve started taking pictures too, to help give you a visual.

Budget Inn
I left the Budget Inn a little after 7:00 this morning, gassed up near Pueblo around 9:00, and arrived in Colorado Springs a little after 11:00. Unfortunately, being so far ahead of schedule (I told them I’d arrive Friday night) Steve & Nikki were at work. So I decided to make use of the time and did some exploring:
View from Austin Bluffs

I ended up in the downtown/business area, and driving past the Palmer Center, I noticed some live musicians. It was about noon, I was hungry, and they had a bbq going, so I stopped for lunch and listened to the band. They were actually quite good. Here's a short clip I took of them:

(Caution: it may take a minute or so to load, it's a 20mb video file.)

Stikki's place
I drove all around the neighborhood around where Stikki live (read: Stikki = Steve + Nikki) looking at apartments for rent. There are a lot! I called on about a dozen of them, saw one today and will see at least two more tomorrow. Around 3:00 Nikki came home and we had lunch before she had to go back to work. After a couple more hours of exploring and apartment-hunting, Steve came home and we watched a movie and ate dinner.