Thursday, January 15, 2009

Dragons in the Bible

Obviously, the greater Story of Christ and God's plan of redemption for us is the point of the Bible. And there are innumerable instances of practical life application stuff as well as wisdom of who God is, etc.

BUT....maybe it's because I'm a guy who's into action/fantasy/sci-fi.....there are some parts of the Bible that make my heart rate increase and make me smile and daydream. Eg: Epic battle scenes, blow-your-hair-back miracles, and those unexplained mysteries that we won't get answers to until we get to Heaven.

Today, my read through the Bible chronological study had me finishing the last couple chapters of Job. I've read through Job several times before; even did an in-depth study with some fellow men a couple years ago....but Chapter 41 never fails to incite excitement and clamoring for "More!" from me. God is describing the "Leviathan". I've heard it said before that this might have been referring to: whale, crocodile/alligator, hippopotamus, even dinosaur. But my mind hasn't been able to accept those explanations....only one description seems to fit: Dragon. Seriously! C'mon....

18 His sneezings flash forth light,
and his eyes are like the eyelids of the dawn.
19 Out of his mouth go flaming torches;
sparks of fire leap forth.
20 Out of his nostrils comes forth smoke,
as from a boiling pot and burning rushes.
21 His breath kindles coals,
and a flame comes forth from his mouth.

Has a hippo or crocodile ever shot fire from their mouth? I won't post excerpts of the entire chapter here, but there are many more example of dragon-type descriptions. The only metaphoric possibility could be that God is describing a physical manifestation of Satan. The Message adds a line that isn't in any other version (and therefore, questionable to my mind) that says "Even angels run for cover when he surfaces" Huh?

Anyways, I challenge you to read it and imagine what kind of creature this could be, if not a dragon. RRRRRAAAAAWWWRRRR!!!!!!